Sunday, May 22, 2011

You know you're are derby girl if....


Hey again, its Coco!
So I was thinking with a good friend of mine how you tell the difference between normal and regular people to derby girls. The more we thought about it, the more we came up with until....
YOU KNOW YOUR A DERBY GIRL IF!!!
So I just have to say muahaha because it a bunch of the things she and I thought up were really true. If you yourself are a derby girl/guy then keep reading and see if any of the things we have said are true for sure.
You know you're a derby girl if....
  1. You get excited over the idea of new bearings.
  2. you get excited over the idea of any new part you get on your skates.
  3. you take the time to read a. the entire rule book or b. parts of the rule book before a bout so that you know for sure what the rules are.
  4. you own a bizillion pairs of knee high/thigh high socks.
  5. you find that other sports can be uninteresting because you find that derby is the best sport out there.
  6. you experience skate with drawl as soon as you step out the door of a skating rink.
  7. you get excited that one of the newbies on your team knocked you down.
  8. you look up special in-soles for you skates.
  9. you walk like you skate, such as crossing over when you turn corners.
  10. you get excited when you go to the gas station before practice and the huge water bottles are on sale.
  11. you daydream about derby.
  12. you take pictures your bruises because you like the color and shape.
  13. you laugh when you fall.
  14. duck tape is on your wish list for you birthday AND Christmas.
  15. you long for the most violent player on your team to come to practice so that you can fall at practice and get a new bruise.
  16. you think that bruises are beautiful.
  17. you wear slippers to practice because then you can have you feet tapped up and ready to skate as soon as you get there so you can have more skate time.
  18. you look up water bottles on amazon.com to upgrade to a bigger one.
  19. you talk non-stop about derby or find references to derby all the time during a conversation.
  20. the prospect of someone touching your butt or you touching someone else's butt doesn't bother you as much as it should.
  21. you can identify people on your team by looking at their butt.
Now sadly with that last one I do know that it is guaranteed because I asked my own team mates and some people on the womens team. Now one of my coaches has a very recognizable butt. At the championship bout that I went to, I was with some of my team mates and another one of my coaches. My team mate was looking for our other coach and I was able to point her out because I recognized her butt. I asked out other coach how often that actually happens, and she said it actually happens a lot. So it just goes to show that looking at someone's butt is a form of identification, if the butt is now shaped like it usually is, then you've either got the wrong person, or they have gotten plastic surgery that you didn't know about.
Anyway, thats all for now, read again next week for problems with your team mates, please comment down below with any questions or concerns you might have.
@Frank- First, thanks for reading! I understand what happened, and thats what I'm also trying to tell other people so that they know how joining derby can open you up and make you see yourself as a person, not a person pleaser. I appreciate your support.
Fact of the week: drink plenty of water because passing out of dehydration on the track is not fun.
Remember, its good to be a brat!
Coco Pow

2 comments:

  1. Coco-your writing is very precise when it comes to derby. Thank you so much for sharing! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I have one: you want to study abroad for a year but won't go anywhere that doesn't have a derby team.

    ReplyDelete